April 20, 2011

Teasing

School is closed today.  Last night during dinner, out of the blue (and just as I was taking a drink of water), Jeremy nonchalantly mentioned to Connor, "By the way, I have a lot of stuff to do tomorrow so even though you don't have school, I"m going to drop you off there anyway."  A look of shock immediately crossed Connor's face.  I had to turn away to avoid snorting water out of my nose.  Jeremy continued, "You can just play on the playground all day.  You'd like that, wouldn't you?"  Connor looked back and forth between Jeremy and I, trying to gauge whether Jeremy was joking.  Jeremy then asked Connor what he would like packed in his lunchbox, adding he could eat it whenever he got hungry.  Connor actually started listing what he would like: "peanut butter and jelly, big, without the crust, Cheetos, . . ."  Jeremy finished the tall tale by letting Connor know that since school is closed, he won't be able to go inside to use the bathroom.  "But what do I do if I have to go?"  Jeremy answered, "Just go pee in the trees."  I thought for sure by the end of the ridiculous conversation that Connor had concluded Jeremy was teasing him.  However, this morning when he woke up at 6:30 and came into our bathroom, he quietly asked, "Mommy, do I really have to pee in the trees today?"

No comments: