February 25, 2011

The Kindergarten Zoo

About a month ago Connor brought home a permission slip to allow him to participate in a music program at school.  His first school program!  Of course I signed it (and then told Jeremy about it).  After a week passed, I asked if they were practicing for the program.  He said yes, but couldn't remember what songs they were singing.  Not a good sign.  About a week and a half ago, I found a half sheet of paper in his backpack with dialogue on it.  There were five lines total, and Connor's name was assigned to two of them.  I asked if he had a speaking part in the program.  His response?  "Um, yeah."  Every morning and afternoon since then, we've been quizzing him on his lines.  Not only did he have his lines memorized, but also had the other 3 lines memorized.  And of course when we were practicing, if we didn't say the other lines correct, he would immediately let us know.  The program was last night, and I must say Connor did a FABULOUS job.  I recorded his lines as best I could on the camera, but when we played it back, the sound didn't come through well at all.  In fact, when Connor watched the playback, he said, "How can you say I was good?  You can't even hear me!"  But trust me, he did just fine.


In case you can't hear them, it went like this:

     Madeleine:  Hello, Denver Zoo.  May I help you?
     Connor:     Our zebra is missing!  Can you help us?
     Madeleine:  Let me see.

Then the entire class broke into song, singing The Zoo Song . . .


The Zoo Song was followed by a delightful dancing number that involved three of Connor's friends - Cooper, Ian and Carter.  Yes, the Chicken Dance.


Ian was hysterical to watch.  He had moves!  Something about Ian reminds me of Connor's cousin, Kenner.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but he does.  After the dance, Connor headed back to the microphone.


     Aodhan:  I have a dog and a cat.  Would that work?
     Connor:  Thanks, but I need to find my zebra.

The class then sang The Old Gray Cat  and Bingo.  Not only was Cooper lucky enough to dance on stage, but he also got to hold up the G during Bingo.

When the kindergarteners were done, the first graders took the stage, then the second graders, and then the third graders.  All the classes kept to the zoo theme, including trying to find the missing zebra.  I'm still not sure what that was all about.  The first, second, and third graders all came together for the final number.  Throughout the performances, Riley was a trooper, especially considering he had croup and a fever.  But once again, the iPod came to the rescue.  Plus, he just wanted to be held and cuddled, so wasn't up to running around and causing trouble.















One of the highlights of the evening for Connor was that Grandma and Grandpa were able to come to the performance.  Luckily, they got there early and nabbed some decent seats.  By the time we arrived (and yes, we were even early) it was standing room only.  As the principal mentioned, it was a good thing the fire marshall didn't show up.

No comments: